29 June 2008

Travel Memories: 4. On long trips

When I flew to the US, I got used to trips that took between 14 or 18 hours in all, with the longest flight of about 8 hours. This time, the trip was closer to a full day, with the longest flight of about 11 hours. Now that I have done a few transcontinental flights, I look at them in a different way as I did at the beginning. They are not routine, because it's not like taking the subway for a few stops, but I think I have found what rhythm is good for me.

What you need the most is a lot of patience. There is no other choice. You'd better not think about how many hours lie in front of you. There will be the same, regardless of what you do, if all goes well, and, inevitably, there comes a time when you cannot imagine life outside the plane. So much, that it seems as if the flight is short. I am like that.

But I try to follow several routines when I begin a long flight. First, to have at my seat anything that I might need: a book, water?, pen and paper if I feel like writing (difficult). As soon as a I sit down, I take off my shoes and let my feet rest. The safety belt?. I keep it tied up so I don't have to worry about flight attendants, but I leave enough slack to be able to turn in my seat when I sleep. And what I find is more important to get used to the new timezone, I set my watch to the time of the place I am flying to. It is very effective to me, specially if I can sleep. And, obviously, some stretches once in a while, when I go the toilet or whenever I feel like it.

I also try to drink and eat anytime there is anything going by, and try to sleep as much as I can. It is difficult with all the noise the engines make or if the attendants don't stop offering coffe all night, but I think it is a family trait to board any means of transportation and begin sleeping. I am possibly the one who does it less, but there are some almost incredible stories at home of flash sleeping. It is worth trying to, because the trip feels shorter and, at least to me, it is easier to adapt to the new timezone. Of course, I am still of the opinion that I feel more jetlag in Barcelona than when travelling.

No comments: