23 June 2008

(Back from the Past) Light switches and other things

(From 14/05/2008)

Moving from one country to another means that many things that we usually take for granted change in a very radical way. I have been always fascinated how light switches, toilets, doors, keys, showers, things so usual change. And how I find myself puzzled sometimes, not knowing what to do with them.

As soon as I arrived to Taiwan, I found that many things are made in the american way. Not only the electricy voltage or socket shapes, but things like water taps, paper rolls, etc. Easy, I thought.

One thing that surprised me were the light switches that have a small light on when they are turned off

a very good idea, but I can't count how many times I was wrong thinking it was the other way around.

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why so many doors are closed turning the key to the left. I had found some in Columbus (I think the door to my old office worked like this), but they are more common here. Inevitably, there is some style mixing. The door of my office has two keys: one goes to one side, the other to the opposite. It is probably good for memory.

No comments: