20 June 2008

Steamed-up glasses

I didn't remember, but I had another night of observation today. I have been at it for a few hours, now it's 4am, seeing things happen, but I am not "alone at the helm" yet. It won't be long for that. So, I will see another sunrise and all that again, because there are a little less than 3 hours left. We found something on Tuesday and it looks like there is something there today as well —a deuterated molecule, my first time; how exciting!

A little while ago, I went downstairs to the shop in the corner, in front of the university, to buy something to eat. As I went outside my building, I saw an almost full moon, beautiful, over the elevated highway that is next to the campus (romantic, eh?) and I realized that tonight is probably the best night I have seen in Taipei so far. With a full moon, we know we can't have it all.

So, I went to the shop, surrounded by quietness and silence, only broken by the sound of frogs (I should write about that some day). Something unexpected happened to me there. It's not unusual that, in winter, when it's very cold and I go into a closed and warm place, like a bar, my glasses are instantly steamed-up and it takes a while before I can see well again. It's like a switch: outside, ok; inside, white curtain. Tonight, it happened what happened last Monday: I walk out of a refrigerated place, and, ban, glasses all steamed-up when they meet the warm air outside. I'd never expected that. Some people are right: the air conditioning is too high!

1 comment:

Helen said...

What deuterated molecule?????