09 June 2008

(Back from the Past) Bureaucracy

(from 22/5/2008)
It is a terrible word and that is what I found today. The good news are that I have my passport back and I have the resident visa. That means that I won't have to go back to Barcelona before my time.



With the new visa, there are 15-days to apply to what they call the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). I went immediately, walking under a burning Sun. I waited for about 20 minutes, while I tried to understand some long numbers in chinese. No problem, no problem, pay NTD1000, you can pick it up on... June 23rd!. Eh?. Yes, I am sorry we do not have enough cards. How can you run out of cards?!

These are the bad news, because I won't be able to open a bank account until I have the ARC, nor do any kind of paperwork a little out of the ordinary. I will have my first salary in cash and I will have to pay in cash the rent. Fantastic. I am still living the strange life.

No comments: