16 June 2008

Hanging clothes

The first time I was in my current apartment, when the owners were showing it to me, we went out onto a little gallery where there are the washing machine and the heater. While it was translated that the washing machine was working (even if it almost ruined one of my t-shirts the other day), and that there was space enough to hang the clothes to dry there, the landlady's husband picked a pile of closet hangers and pointed at them. I had seen two long bars over me, but I didn't understand anything. Later, when I walked more around Taipei and looked to the galleries in front of mine, I got it: they hang the clothes, not from a line, but using closet hangers, which are put anywhere they can. It looks like everybody has a small balcony, or bar, or a railing to use. Others are bolder, like here


I find this in my daily walk to my office and they do not seem to have any problem at all, as in many other places, to leave the clothes wherever they fancy, or any other thing that needs to be dried: plastic pieces, mats. There is always something there. The other day, there were some bed sheets and a quilt on top of a car.

So, I do the same, inside my gallery. I looked for a clothesline as the ones back home, with no luck. At most, small pieces of plastic from where you can hang socks or underwear. Maybe I should look for a rope and pegs, and do it myself. Or go to Ikea.

No comments: