18 June 2008

Remote observation


It is almost five in the morning and I am looking out my office window at the dawn over Taipei. I spent the whole night with a remote observation using the 12 meter telescope of Kitt Peak in Arizona (ARO) of a comet. It was months since the last time I did this. And it looks as if we have a detection. It is the first time I use this telescope and I was with my supervisor at first. Then he left and I stayed. No problems.

A little while ago, I looked outside and saw the sky was getting clearer. I am not used yet at how early it dawns here. I guess it is because of the mess of times we have back home. I was thinking that it was the second sunrise I see in a few days. The view is not so nice as the one last week, but I can hear the birds singing. Ummm, it reminds me of those walks in the early morning near "el Parc de la Ciutadella" in Barcelona. It is a good time to let me be assaulted by the memories of the places and people I met, some of which I will see again, while for others it will be difficult to find a way to do it.

Half an hour to go and I will go home to sleep, but I am not sleepy at all.

No comments: