27 June 2008

(Back from the Past) Lucky coffins

(from 14/5/2008)

Last Saturday, while some us, who had gone to the outing, were strolling along the Yehliu little market, I stopped in front of a stall that was selling little wooden figures, stones, etc. Very well presented. I saw some very curious little pieces that I coudn't identify. I thought they might be some strange seals or little boxes for keeping jewels. But when you are just looking around and, in fact, are only killing time before it's time to meet the rest of the group to take the bus, you don't really pay attention to things.

But then, Jinhua, one of the chinese postdocs, asked me if I had seen this

true, they were miniature coffins. What a strange thing, isn't it?. He told me that people have them at home, because in Mandarin coffin is pronounced similarly to "guan cai", that separately mean something like "public officer or to go up in status" and "wealth or getting rich" or something like that. Obviously, some think that they are good luck talismans. And make a business out of them.

There you have it, I already wrote one of these.

No comments: