07 June 2008

Books


Yes, these are my first book acquisitions in Taipei. I finally decided to go today into one of the bookshops near Taida campus, which I had been told had many books in English. To continue the tradition I barely could help not keeping in Columbus, I came out with two books in my hands.

It is a vice as any other and I fell into it repeatedly while I was in the United Sttes. I don't know why, I liked the bookshops there and I could not help it. Maybe it was the abundance or the physical touch of books, who knows?. There was always an interesting book asking to be taken. But you must be careful not to hoard too many, because then there are many problems when you must leave the country.

Looking at the books that were in that only aisle dedicated to books in English today, I realized I am missing a very special Columbus bookshop: The Book Loft, that bookshop that filled a whole house, with 30+ rooms filled with books distributed in about three floors. I think that it was a unique bookshop in the whole city, not another franchise of the big american bookstore chains. Moreover, placed in the German Village, everything had a different look there. Ah, the old times!.

I still have a stash, not very large, of books that I brought with me from Barcelona, but it's good to see that I won't run out of material to quench my reading thirst. I also found an interesting route for jogging today, so I may begin to go back to a certain personal normality.

No comments: