21 July 2008

To the beach

All right, I already swam in the Pacific Ocean. On Sunday two weeks ago, we finally went to a beach north of Taipei. We took the MRT to Danshui, at the end of the red line, some 20 stops from the center, and then a bus to BaiShaWan beach (the White Sand Bay). The bus ride was another interesting experience, because the driver seemed to get crazier with time.

I already knew that taiwanese are not too fond of water, but what I saw was ridiculous. The "baywatchers" had put limits on a place where the water barely reached my navel and got really nervous if anybody tried to cross them. The water was as quiet as in a bathtub, just like in the very quiet days in the Mediterranian. It was even worse, because they "closed the shop" at half six. I was fed up with them. Anyway, the water had a perfect temperature and I could swim a little bit.


Afterwards, I could assist to another sunset at sea, with a very spectacular day at some moments, while we could see how a storm was beginning at the horizon behind the hills.


We took the bus back to Danshui when it was dark, and visited the old street that goes along the river, which is very wide here where it meets the sea. As always, shops and more shops, lights, noises, loads of people and food everywhere. I ended up tasting new things, as usual. In years past, Danshui was one of the more important harbors of Taiwan and still has remains of european buildings:

english, dutch, spanish. To finish, a midnight metro back home and fast to sleep, because I had to be in a workshop at the ASIAA early the next morning.

No comments: