28 July 2008

Buses

Taipei has a very modern metro system, but it does not cover a big part of the city. So, there is also a wide bus network. It is a little bit confusing, because I could not find any bus guide I could understand until a few days ago. And even that is not so clear.


Another solution is to look at the information in the bus stops, but as you can imagine, it is not so easy to understand. This is from one I have close to my apartment

After three months here, I begin to understand some of the names of places I know, but it's just that. I have four or five lines that stop close to my apartment that can take me to my office or to the IAA. I don't usually ride the bus unless I am in a hurry to go to the IAA or, I guess, the day that rains so much that I must take it.

From what I understand, there are several bus companies managing the lines. There are urban and interurban lines. With different prices. The buses are a mix between city buses and coaches in Europe. The seats are more comfortable and, sometimes, the distribution is closer to the one in coaches. As I will tell you in more detail, you can go in or out either through the front or back door, depending on the bus (or through both, because they are not precisely Swiss here).

Some big avenues have their own seggregated lane/s, stops in the middle of the street, exclusive underground pases, etc. I guess it's the only way to escape the rush hour traffic. It is usual to see a long line of buses, one almost touching the one in front, on these lanes. Sometimes, there are lines of up to four of five buses in some stops.


Trips are always interesting, even if it's just because the way they drive. I don't know if it's their style, traffic or the road condition, but you'd better get hold of something. Fortunately, the air conditioning is on all the time. At least, that.

No comments: