04 July 2008

First talk

I gave my first talk at the ASIAA yesterday. It was supposed to be rather informal and I thought it would be short, but it filled up all the available time, after questions and because I (finally) did it slowly. I had been asked to explain something about chemical models of the interstellar medium. And not by people working in the same field I have been usually working, star formation, but on the other end, late stars (the ones getting closer to die, so to speak).

Since it is a rather wide subject, and I don't know that much, even if I have worked with people that know almost everything and something has probably filtered down, I tried to make a simple review and to explain the things you usually do when you make models. Several people told me that it was very clear. I don't know, I always get the impression that I bore them to death. The truth is that they asked many questions and, even more, several told me that we should look into some things and maybe start a collaboration. Excellent, that was the idea, but if things keep going like this, I will be so busy that I won't have time to do anything. What bothers me a little is how fast people tag you as 'the expert' in something. I can't deny I know how some things work, but I think I am still far from being an expert.

Anyway, it's been a way to inaugurate my departamental personal webpage and put there the file of the presentation. Mass communication!.

No comments: