27 July 2008

MRT

I have been talking about the MRT for three months. Well, I guess you already know that that's the acronym for Taipei's underground (Metropolitan Rapid Transit). Taipei's metro system is very modern; the first line started service in 1996. It is easy to see in the building style of the stations and in the trains. Everything is new still, well lighted and with a very similar design (many stations look almost the same). It's the same feeling I had in Bilbao. It is also well kept and very clean. One of the reasons is because it is strictly forbidden to eat and drink in it, and you can tell.

Looking at a map of the network,

there are 7 metro lines, but they are really four with different endings or extensions. The metro goes underground in many parts, but there also several open air stretches, either overhead or at street level. So, there are underground and "overground"stations.

I don't know why, but I like riding a metro in open air (I loved it in London and Berlin). I guess it is more entertaining and appealing. They have a huge expansion plan
of the network, which, if it's finished, will give them a very extense mesh. That won't hurt Taipei's chaotic traffic situation.

The stations remind me of the ones in the BARTA in San Francisco, with long platforms to accomodate the many cars of each train. The underground stations look very similar, but I began finding the different characteristics of each one (apart from name) with time. This is the one closer to my apartment, Wanlog.

I think that the separation between stations is, in general, larger than in Barcelona. They must probably cover a longer distance too and this makes the trip faster. It works between 5am and 12:30am, with very decent frequencies. I am not sure how full it can go. I have been in very full cars, but not so much as what you see in Japan.

Getting in or out of the train at the central station (Taipei Main Station) is truly an experience. Two metro lines and the railrorad lines meet there. It is really a sea of people and it is the only place where I have seen a fence all along the platform with doors that are only opened when the train doors open.

Another curiosity of Taipei's metro is that there are lines painted on the platform where people must make a line to board the cars. They are very respected and it is a good idea for very busy stations.

The stops are announced inside the cars in four languages: Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hakka and English. The lighted signs give information in Mandarin and English. It's easy to find your way and you can practice the characters you are learning.

No comments: