03 July 2008

Taxi drivers

It happened to me a couple of days ago and it happened again last night, and at other times too. I am walking on the street and I hear that somebody is blowing the horn of a car. When I lift my head, it is a taxi driver that is trying to get my attention to see if I want to take it. Of course, they don't know my general aversion to take taxis (long stories to tell about Barcelona that don't matter now). Even then, I still miss a little bit those Columbus taxi drivers, who barely spoke English and did not know half the streets, but had the car full of little prints, trinkets and all kinds of pseudo-religious stuff. The two best ones were two ethiopian drivers, who were some strange version of christians, that didn't stop talking and telling me stories about their lifes.

I felt a little bit bad, not much really, about a guy that almost stopped his car next to me the other day and was short of getting out of it to get me. I didn't even look at him, of course. But I don't know how could they stop sometimes, if I needed them, because they usually don't slow down a bit. They probably would cause a multiple collision. It was funny last night, because the guy used the horn when I was literally under my window. Yes, it was almost midnight, but we had just had the big Thursdays meeting on Wednesday, and I had been helping two very disoriented students.

Of course, I was going with a japanese girl that was looking for a taxi one night, and there were none in sight. She ended up taking the MRT. It must be some part of the test they must pass in order to get their license.

No comments: