10 July 2008

Lottery in the tickets

Every time I bought something during my first days in Taiwan, people insisted on giving me the sale receipt. Ok, they are given everywhere in the Western world and you are supposed to keep them, but it seemed a little bit odd until I was told that there is a bimonthly lottery in Taiwan where the winning numbers have to be compared with the numbers found in the upper part of the sale tickets, which already come printed out like that. The prize is higher the more coinciding numbers there are, beginning from the right-hand end.

It is part of a government program that tries to fight fraud, pirated products and, I guess, tax evasion, encouraging people to ask for the tickets, which are designed by the goverment. There is a web address on the back side where the winning numbers corresponding to the sale months of the tickets are published. I looked it up one day, out of curiosity, but all was written in Chinese. So, I either ask somebody or I will never know what is my luck. Or maybe I must look harder. Anyway, it can be difficult, and crazy, to try to find a number that has any prize


I have been keeping the tickets, but I could as well throw them away, because I understand very little on them.

ps: I made a better search and I found a webpage in English. The result?, keep on trying.

No comments: