14 July 2008

Little surprise

Life can be surprising and, even if it's not much, I received a nice little present today. Or maybe I should say, I got two.

Today was the first day I could go to my office and do the work I could not do last week. The most urgent task, and maybe the simpler, was to finish the answer to the referee of that seemingly never ending paper that I had almost finished the previous week. So, little by little, I finished everything.

The only thing left was the more dangerous: to run a model with a new ratefile. I must do it sooner or later, but this is probably not the best time to do it. So, I took it easy. Taking all the necessary steps as carefully as I could, and writing everything down because I want to explain it to a visitor. Check the changes that have been done in the formats, which always makes me curse a little, and run the first trial. Terrible results. I tried it again, checking other things, but the more I looked at it, the worse it seemed. Bad, because if don't find any mistake and those are the new results, the paper is screwed.

So I spent a long while making new tests, checking the code, but I saw I was not getting anywhere. So, I went back home, feeling very low, with a little headache and feeling very tired. There were still several things to try, but I didn't count on them too much. It is in these moments when you wish you could fly away.

I arrived home, after crossing the trench that has become the main door —they have been working on the street since last Wednesday at least—, I soiled my brain with some TV and I made a last review. At the same time I found a possible reason for the bad results, somebody knocked on my door. It was my landlady bringing me dinner!. It's a pity that I cannot speak to her and I can only thank her very simply. I don't know if it's because of some holiday, which I know it's coming, or because they received the rent, or maybe they are just like that, but it's been a little big gift that added to the other one (if it works) leaves a very good taste in my mouth today.

No comments: