17 July 2008

(Back from the Past) The Garbage Truck

(from 20/5/2008)

Right now, sitting at my office, I heard trough the open window the little song that is becoming so familiar to me. It comes from far away, because there is some distance to the street. It is a tune that reminds me a little of the one used by the knife-sharpeners back home, but more elaborated; these are electronic times. What is this music?. The one from the garbage truck.

There are no trash containers in Taipei, and it is difficult to see trash cans either. So, at certain pre-established times, the garbage truck goes by, followed by a small truck that takes care of the recyclable stuff, and everybody must take the bags down to them:



Every place has a different collecting time. It is after 5:30pm in front of NTNU. It was at 5:30pm in a street in front of my window last Saturday. It is just after 8pm at my place and I saw yesterday that it's at 9:15pm on the other side of the street. A little mess. But you'd better pay attention or you will miss it for sure.

The first time I saw it, I didn't quite understand. But japanese have told me that it's very similar in Japan. No wonder, you shouldn't leave any trash fermenting in a container in a tropical country, but I am sure I will have trouble with it more than once. C'mon, get the truck!. Curiously, these trucks do not seem to run on noise as the ones in Barcelona.

No comments: