16 August 2008

Nightlife

Not Taipei's, but the animal life in the GongGuan ShiDa campus. I told you before about the croaking of the frogs at night there, but I didn't tell you that sometimes you must watch out and dodge them when they are out on a walk and stop in the middle of the sidewalk. They are very small frogs, that jump wherever they can and you have to be careful not to step on them. Of course, when they start singing, they are very noisy.

I heard them again last night and I saw a few wandering here and there. I was coming back from dinner and some beers in the north side with other postdocs, and from having a funny night. Suddenly, I saw a shadow and something that looked kind of big there on the sidewalk. Something that I could not identify until I arrived next to it. It was a snail. But what a snail,

with shell and body, it was larger than my hand. I have seen quite a range of snails at home, from the tiny ones to some quite large, but now I know where I have seen the biggest one. The truth is that it was very impressive. I left it there moving very slowly, while I went up to pick up my bag and went back home.

No comments: