25 August 2008

(Back from the Past) Rice, rice

(from 27/05/2008)
Of course, I studied, in those early times of school and/or high-school, how the dominant type of cereal was different in the main different regions of the world. If it was corn in America, it was wheat or rye in Europe, millet in Africa, and rice in Asia. Oh, rice. Two crops per year and all that allowed a lot of people to be fed and so they explained the great eastern agglomerations (source of many epidemics according to some, maybe the plague, or the flu, blah, blah, blah).

I think I have never eaten so much rice in my life. And I have only been here four weeks. Fortunately, I like it. It's not that I am unfamiliar with eating it as we eat breed in Europe —it's part of the menu in a japanese restaurant in Barcelona that I used to visit, the same menu that includes the fabulous aubergines (who knows if I will find somebody that will teach me how to cook them). But it is everywhere, here. Almost always, just plain rice, from a kind slightly different from ours. If you want it mixed with something else, you probably must go to thai or indian dishes. So, you end up eating loads of rice, all inside their little bowls. It's good to practice with the chopsticks and I think I eat much more rice than I used to eat bread.

There is one thing good about so much rice (I couldn't help it). It must be good for your bowels. It probably cleans everything.

No comments: