08 August 2008

Good-byes

Time really goes by fast. It was a little over three months ago when I arrived here. In the process of being introduced to life in Taiwan, I had the invaluable help of Chian Chou, the student that was at my same office. Then, it seemed so far away that he was leaving to start his doctorate in Hawaii in August. Until July, when he finished his contract, he helped me a lot on how things work at ShiDa, he taught me many characters in order to be able to order some food, and he explained to me many things about Taiwan and the Chinese culture. He is also a very cool guy and we spent many funny times (and he is the only one I have ridden in a scooter with).

He was very few times in the office last month, and I already missed him. Now, it is difficult to talk to anybody while I am at work, because most of the students are in a different building.

And, so, August is here, we had a general farewell party yesterday, and I said good-bye to him today, because he has his flight to Honolulu next Monday. I wished him luck, because he has a long and difficult road ahead of him, but I am convinced that he will make it. It's hard to believe, after only two or three months, but it feels bad to say good-bye. He's striving for something better though, which is always a reason to be glad about.

No comments: