16 October 2008

Places you will never see again

These internet communications work in a very funny way. At small bursts. These last three or four days, I have been able to talk, through e-mail or some kind of chat, with several people I first met or found again in the US. I had not heard from them for several weeks, or months in some cases, and now all at the same time. It is always good to be updated on each others' lives and getting the latest news.

Maybe that is why I remembered a thought that crossed my mind a couple of weeks ago, and then I thought that it was coming really early. Put in a simple way: there comes a day, when you are like me in a faraway place from which you know you will leave relatively soon, that you look around, to the places that you walk by almost every day, and realize that you will leave one day and you will probably never see them again. Then, I usually feel a mix of nostalgia (of the future) and disbelief at the possibility of such a thing like that ever happening. I began having that feeling in Columbus maybe six or seven months before my stay would finish, that is why I was so surprised of thinking about it so soon.

That can also be applied to the people you meet, but that is a completely different story. There are more chances to see each other again, but, at the same time, distance can be harder too.

Don't worry, it was a fleeting thought that has not come back... yet.

No comments: