28 October 2008

Introductions

As I probably commented already , the first or second day of my arrival, Chien Chou, the student that shared the office with me, wrote me a list of chinese characters, and their approximate pronunciation, related to food.

It was not a long list, nor with much variety, but it was very useful at the beginning to allow me to look to a menu and be able to distinguish some of the ingredients of the dishes, if they were based on rice or noodles, what kind of meat or if it was fish, which made my choices much easier. Of course, that only gives you an approximate idea of what you are ordering, but fortunately it is not very usual to have those long descriptions so common now in the West.

I have enlarged my vocabulary a little bit since then, but this was my first real chinese lesson in Taiwan.

No comments: