26 October 2008

News

One thing I have not yet managed to do is to follow more or less regularly the local news. It is true that language is a barrier, but there are at least two newspapers in English (plus their respective websites). In fact, I tend to follow the news on the net, and I have not changed much my routine.

That can be a good thing, since from websites, podcasts and similar things, I can be in touch with what happens at home or somewhere else in the world (that's what you get from following the BBC site), but I can also miss what is happening a few meters from home. Obviously, I know where to go to look for information about typhoon alerts, in the odd chance that nobody would tell me anything. About the rest, well I don't get too many news.

But I do not worry. I think it is just a matter of time. At the beginning of staying in a place so far away and so different, you do not understand much about the political or social situation, and most of people's names or place names are mostly meaningless. After a few months in the country, you begin to distinguish among sources, where things are happening, how people think about it. That is what happened for me in Columbus. So, I guess that sooner or later I will submerge deeper and deeper into what is going on in this island and around. Another step in the process.

No comments: