16 September 2008

Water

No, the typhoon has not dragged me to the sea. I have only been too busy to remember to write anything. Now I think I finished the more urgent things.

We saw the Sun again today. We had been seeing only cloudy skies for days, but there was a beautiful sunset this afternoon. The typhoon has gone away and now it is going slowly towards the south of Japan. It was still raining hard yesterday morning, softer and on and off, the rest of the day.

But, how much rain these last days. I read in a newspaper that they estimate that it fell 1 metre of water in the mountainous parts in just three days!. Looking at the maps of the rain, I'd say that it rained maybe over 800mm in Taipei. It gives you an idea of the scale of the thing. In the end, because the central part of the typhoon did no cross over Taipei, the wind was not as strong as I had expected, or so they say. I have seen pictures of the damages it has wrecked on the island. Five or six dead people, some fallen bridges, overflowing rivers. Nature does not joke.

No comments: