19 September 2008

Tea time

One of the traditions at the IAA is the tea time at about 3pm. It's a moment when most of the people there get together, if they are not too busy. There is coffee and tea for everybody, with cakes, cookies or fruit. Some special days, be it because somebody is celebrating something, like having a baby, to welcome somebody new, or to say goodbye to somebody who leaves, the amount of food can be larger and more varied, and of better quality. Since I am staying in a different campus, I miss most of them, if I am not there because of some talk or paperwork I had to do.

Today, we said good-bye to Simon, an australian postdoc that was here for more than a year and a half. I became friends with him and his partner, Lisa, not only because they are some of the few "westerners" here. So, we have had the traditional giving of keepsakes, good luck wishes and all that.

It's surprising how many people I have met that is leaving. The postdoc's fate. As it happens, his next postdoc is in Barcelona.

We still have KTV tonight, though.

No comments: