17 November 2008

Student activities

I have been seeing them in the little esplanade in front of my building at work since a few weeks ago. Groups of boys and girls, stretching and practicing different coreographies. O I could hear their cries and laughs from my office, but I was not sure what they were doing there. Maybe they were in some kind of body expression classes, or taking dancing lessons, because there was also music sometimes. Or maybe they were just rehearsing some play. The weather is generally good and they have enough space there to put a lot of people.

I finally realized what it was today, when I saw the large number of people at the bottom of the research building again and also, some hundred meters down the road, in front of the auditorium or gymnasium that is located half-way along the central street of campus. The shouts, choreographies, girls climbing on top of boys and jumping or making somersaults and expecting somebody else to catch them before they crash into the ground, pom-poms on the grass: they are practicing for some cheerleading show. Probably one of those competitions that are everywhere these days.

I am not at all surprised, because of the american influence on many things and because I already saw an example a few months ago in a student show in the Shida central campus. Even if some people won't like it, these are also multicultural activities, aren't they?.

No comments: