02 November 2008

Street View

It is apparently one of the biggest news right now. Google put on-line the street view pictures of Barcelona and Valencia. It is a funny thing seen from the distance. I spent quite a while last Tuesday or Wednesday taking a look at it. I had done the same thing months ago with the pictures of Columbus and it is an interesting exercise. It can be a way to prove to yourself that you still remember how things are there, and you also have the chance to see if there is anything new: that building that was not finished when you left, how that street has changed in two or three years, etc. I think that the pictures of Barcelona are from last spring, but I have seen some things I did not know (or remembered the latest changes before I left).

Then you have the stories about people you know. I looked at the balconies of my family to see what was there. Not much, lowered blinds and hanging clothes, but I think I can see the building caretaker at the front door of my building. And the other day, a friend sent us the coordinates of his position: helping the economy in the terrace of a bar.

In short, if one day you fancy it, or maybe you really need it, you can just move the little yellow man along the blue streets of Google Maps and take a stroll down memory lane.

No comments: