03 November 2008

Daylight Savings Time

I think that the time changes across the world are over for now. If it was in Europe two weekends ago, it was in the US and Canada last weekend. There is no time change in Taiwan between winter and summer. That is something for countries located closer to the Poles. Nonetheless, I read somewhere that they tried it for several years long ago, before deciding not to do it again. I do not think they need it at all, assuming there is any use for it even in more northern or southern countries. And I am not against it. In fact, I like it mostly because of aesthetical reasons or because of habit, but it would not be a great loss.

So, right now, we have a 7 hour difference to the Central European Time, 8 hours to the UK, and 13 to the East Coast, but only 11 to Chile, because they changed the time in the opposite direction. These differences can be funny when you want to talk to somebody so far away. I think that it will be more difficult for me now for talking with Skype during the week: the window of opportunity is reduced.

In any case, I have a few applets in my laptop that help me to know what is the time in several parts of the world, because there are times that you'd better know if you don't want to miss a deadline. Chile's case, and also Australia's, is funny. Two weeks ago, Chile had the same time as the US East Coast; they were an hour ahead last week; and they are two ahead from now on. Difficult to remember.

No comments: