22 July 2009

(Partial) Solar Eclipse

Naturally, we had a date with the solar eclipse this morning. It was a partial one in Taiwan, about 82%. If you wanted to see the total eclipse, you would not need to go too far away from here, to China, to Shanghai for instance, where a lot of people of the ASIAA and Shida went to, but I still do not know how was the weather like there. It was not my case; I did not travel this time.

So, several people got together to see the show this morning.

The sky was not completely clear, because we had the same kind of clouds as yesterday, but we did not have any problem to follow the evolution of the eclipse, be it with filters, cameras or a simple pinhole.


I could also see the sickle-shaped shadows of the tree leaves that I had seen on other occasions,

which give a fantastic flair to the place.

The clouds were good for two things: they made the waiting a little bit cooler and allowed us to make some spectacular pictures, without any filter and just holding the camera.


The rest of the day has been somewhat disappointing, of course, but I was surprised at how excited I was just remembering what I saw one year ago in China.

2 comments:

chiuping said...

Hi, Oscar

I came by your blog becasue of some google search. I found it interesting to see all the things from your points of view -- a foreign student in Taiwan. By the way, you are a terrific photographer!!

Unknown said...

Hi chiuping, glad that you like it.